Jim Barber has a long and varied career as a professional speaker. First as a technical trainer on computer software, and later as a keynoter, voice talent, and Master of Ceremonies, Jim has helped audiences at hundreds of organizations, including the European Space Agency [Germany], the Royal Aircraft Establishment [England], Ontario Hydroelectric [Canada], the Atlantic Underwater Testing and Evaluation Center [Bahamas], Linköpings Universitet [Sweden], and a variety of U.S. organizations including the Miami Parking System, San Diego Gas and Electric, NASA / Goddard, and Texas Instruments.
Jim is also the author of 18 books, including The Complete Professional Speaker's Office Kit (described by Glenna Salsbury, past president of the National Speakers Association, as "the best single investment you can make in your speaking career") and The Professional Speaker's Mastery (described as "packed with the stuff you need to run a professional practice as a speaker or consultant!" by Randy Gage, author of Why You're Dumb, Sick and Broke).
Jim has also lent his voice to a variety of audio projects ranging from product announcer ("But wait! There's more!") to medical voiceovers ("Now review the placement of the nasogastric, naosesophageal, esophagostomy and jejunostomy tubes"). Jim has also done voice work for a number of professional speakers, including Dr. Rebecca Staton-Reinstein, Ellen Bristol, Ruben Perczek, and Randy Gage.
Jim is currently producing two podcasts — Speaker Gym, which offers quick tips and suggestions on strengthening your presentation skills; and Pro Speaker U, which offers guidance to professional speakers (established, beginning, and aspiring) on how to make your speaking business more successful and profitable.
For those people who need more than the quick insights offered by the Speaker Gym and Pro Speaker U podcasts, Jim also offers his OMG (Online Mastery Groups) group coaching sessions, where small groups can drill down into selected topics at greater depth; as well as BOOGIE (Barber's Official Online Guide to Individual Edification), which offers personalized individual coaching (conducted online, for maximum convenience).
Jim has been committed to the speaking industry for much of that same period. He's....
- been an active member of Toastmasters International for over 30 years;
- twice served as president of the Florida Speakers Association; and
- received multiple honors, including FSA's Sam Edwards Award and the Bill Gove Lifetime Achievement Award, and he was the first recipient of the FSA Jim Barber Leadership Excellence Award, named in his honor.
Jim has been excited about the awesome potential of the Internet for over a quarter of a century.
- Jim was developing content for the Internet in the early 90's (that's before the World Wide Web was developed),
- he created his first standalone web site in 1995,
- and in 2000, PC World magazine declared his web site, The Barber Shop, to be a “top ten” site for professional speakers.